Remembering September 11th

Remembering September 11th 





The day September 11th, 2001 will forever live in the hearts and minds of all Americans. And this also can be said for the nations around the world. Marking this day a dark tragic day for America. You may be hard pressed to find a country anywhere in the world that does not know the tragedies that happened on American soil. 

If you ask most American's, they can recall the events of that morning regardless of how trite. For my morning started out as any other morning by waking up and heading to work. I usually started work around 7 am so that I could beat California traffic in both directions. I lived in Castro Valley and had to commute to Sunnyvale. The day prior, I received my eBay item that I bid on and won. The item I had won was a US military Vietnam War era flak vest. I placed it in my truck and headed off to work. I planned to show my co-workers the vest. When I left for work it was still dark outside. I drove to my favorite coffee shop, which was a mere shack drive-up type. I bought my coffee and drove off. I normally listen to talk radio or news in the morning.

The news broke that a plane had hit the Twin Towers building. My first thought was what a stupid pilot. How can you not see these two towers. I then thought it was probably a single engine Cessna or some other small type of plane. The news provided no more information that a plane hit the building. Driving further along the news broke once again. A second plane hit the Twin Towers. Now, I blurted out, "What the FUCK!" My first thought went to a malfunctioning Airport Tower equipment feeding incorrect information to the airplanes in the area. And I also thought that it might be a very stupid air traffic controller. 

But after that second aircraft strike, the events unfolded quickly. The news of this event was on all stations, music or not. And I was still commuting to work. The typical stop and go traffic down 880. More news bombarding the radio with the horrors happening across the country in New York. Then the order to halt all flights within the US. I turned onto 84 to cross the Dumbarton Bridge. As I crested the bridge, the reality and the gravity of what was happening hit me hard. The sky was empty, it was very still, quiet, solemn, and tranquil. It was also very eery. I could look to the south and usually see air traffic around San Jose Airport and sometimes some out of Moffit Naval Air Station. I could look Northwest and spot air traffic out of SFO and their normal flight pattern is over the bay. And look Northeast and see Oakland airport. This day nothing. 

I finally made it to work. I forgot about the flak vest in my truck. I went into work and the last thing on everybody's mind was work. At lunch time it was my turn to drive; when my co-workers jumped in one stated, "Do you know something we don't Porter?" I look towards him confusingly and then spotted the vest. "Ah, no this was coincidence that my eBay purchased showed up yesterday" I replied. 

Shortly thereafter, I was federalized and started missions for the Global War on Terrorism. When you are National Guard and Reserves you get federalized for missions.



God bless everyone, 

- John  

0 comments: